The Counter Institute Workshop in Larnaca
Among the Ants presents
Pre-Expressivity and Scenic Presence Workshop
The Counter Institute Workshop
Tuition fee: €80 (€65 early birds discount by Oct 2nd)
Pre-Expressivity and Scenic Presence by The Counter Institute (TCI) is an advanced training course for performers (actors and dancers) to develop the most fundamental physical and vocal techniques of the performer.
The workshop is a practical introduction to TCI’s way of training, which is a result of our instructor, Vahid’s study of the work of the twentieth century theatre reformers such as Stanislavski, Craig, Grotowski, Augusto Boal and Odin Teatret. It is both the technical aspect of the craft as well as their artistic, ethical and cultural vision that link the heritage of these masters to the work of TCI.
The point of departure in this workshop is the notion of pre-expressivity developed by Eugenio Barba at ISTA (International School of Theater Anthropology.) Pre expressivity is the central point of Theatre Anthropology that studies the scenic behavior of the performer in an organized performance situation. It scrutinises the recurring principles of performer’s extra-daily techniques, which are common in all genres and styles.
The daily practical work at Pre-Expressivity and Scenic Presence workshop consists of: learning vocal and physical exercises; creating materials and sequences of action; making montage and improvisation.
The counter Institute's Artistic Director, Vahid began his theatre career in Iran and has since studied with several masters of Western and Oriental theatre including Eugenio Barba, Augusto Boal and Akira Matsui. His initiated his unique training workshops with performers in London, Copenhagen and Toronto, as part of HamletZar, an international residency project.
• All participants must fully memorize a short text, preferably in their own mother tongue.
• Participants are asked to bring comfortable training clothing.
• The training involves heavy physical exercises.
• The working language is English but it does not exclude other languages.
• Maximum number of participants: 12
• The participants should be punctual and attend the workshop full time. Latecomers will not be admitted.
• The workshop lasts for app. 8 hours a day (from 09:00 to 17:00) including a 60 min lunch break. The total duration of workshop is 2 days.
• During Havid's visit in Cyprus we will organize a public event, a meeting with art professionals based in Cyprus, as an opportunity to introduce the work, discuss the process and learn about the local arts scene.